Thursday, January 27, 2011

Baking Day!


Hope what ever you did for Australia day was a good day spent with family & friends! I thought I would do some baking & have a go at making mini meringues (never made it for some reason)?



First I did some pie cases (cheated here) they were pre made so got them from the frezzer and baked for 10 mins on 180 deg once they came out the oven & cooled I put a spoon full of lemon curd with 1 strawberry cut in half on top. Turn oven down to 90 deg ready for meringues.



Now for the meringue easier than I thought, I did have to put on the A/C though as if its raining or high humidity they can flop due to extra moister getting into the mixture (didnt want to take the chance).

I got 4 eggs & divided the whites from the yolks best to do each one over a seperate bowl, I know more washing up but you dont want to waste the eggs if any of the yolk gets into the whites you have to start over again as it just will not fluff up.

Add a pinch of salt to the whites or cream of tartar if you wish it helps stabailise the meringue.

I put my whites & salt in a blender and gradualy added 1 cup of caster sugar not to fast, not to slow then kept blending for 3 minutes untill it looked thick & glossy.

Line a baking tray with a sheet of baking paper I used a teaspoon & tablespoon to create a little mound of mixture & placed on baking sheet once created (phew). I placed in the oven wait for it  1 & 1/2 hours. 



They turned out like this, Yay!! I was so pleased they didnt flop :)



Then place on top to finish off, they were so dilicious & the lemon curd was not as tarty as I thought it would taste, every one loved them (relief).  I turned of the oven left a tray load  (mixture makes heaps) for a couple of hours & they were really crunchy would be good crumbled up with some berries & ice-cream better not make any more for a while with all that sugar :)

Hope you liked my recipe? Have you made meringues & if so did they turn out okay?

Elaine :)

Images my own Recipe: Taste.com.au

1 comment:

Felicity said...

Yum! Yum! Yum!

You're much braver than I am Elaine, I've never attempted to make meringues but when you get a result like this... well I might have to consider it.

Perhaps if there was a Kitchenaid in my home, I'd make them....Santa, get out the 'Nice List' I want to go back on!

x Felicity